Steam 101 error is a pretty common error message that might occur when you use the software. If you are looking for solutions to this error, then you have come to the right place. Steam is a platform where you might see some technical glitches on certain moments so if you are encountering the error code 101 on Steam, don’t panic. We would help you out of this all and all you need to do is keep on reading this guide.
Let’s dive in…
Reasons for Steam Error Code 101
Here are the most common reasons why this error appears on your device:
- When steam window crashes, this error could show up.
- During the Steam installation process, you might end up with this error.
- A corrupted version of the Steam app can trigger this issue.
- You can experience this error because of some network restrictions set by the government.
- Due to particular internet protocols, it might show you this error.
- Poor internet connectivity can also cause this type of problems.
Fix 1: Switching Your Internet Protocol
An internet protocol is one of the main causes of this issue, so by changing it, this error might disappear. Here’s how to change the internet protocol on your computer:
- First and foremost, right-click on the Steam app icon.
- Then press on Properties.
- After that, find the “Target” option.
- There is a file path located next to it.
- You need to click on that file path address and put in “-tcp” after the address.
- Hit the OK button on the bottom to continue.
- After that, open the Steam app using that shortcut icon.
See if the issue resolved or it is still showing up while using the service.
Read more: Fix Hulu Error Code P-TS207
Fix 2: Check Internet Connection
If you are facing internet-related issues, then you will undoubtedly face errors on Steam, and that could be Steam error 101. Follow the steps given down here to fix the error code:
- On your system, press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- This will trigger the Start menu.
- Now you need to enter cmd and then right-click on the best matching result.
- Choose Run as Administrator.
- This will open Command Prompt with administrative permissions.
- Now put in “ipconfig /release” and hit Enter.
- Next enter “ipconfig /renew” and then press Enter.
- After that, type in “ipconfig /flushdns” and tap the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Put in the “netsh winsock reset” command and press Enter.
- Once that done, type “net stop dhcp” and hit Enter.
- Enter the “net start dhcp” command and then press the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Finally, type the “netsh winhttp reset proxy” command carefully and press Enter.
Now, restart your device and see if the error persists.
Fix 3: Run the System File Checker
- Press Windows key on your keyboard.
- Put in cmd and then right-click on Command Prompt icon.
- Choose Run as Administrator.
- Put in “sfc /scannow” and hit Enter.
- Wait until the process wraps up.
Reboot the device and open Steam once again to see if the error code 101 is resolved.
Fix 4: Fix Steam Error 101 via Reinstalling the Program
- On your computer press Windows + R keys simultaneously to trigger Run box.
- Then, put in Control and press Enter.
- Go to Programs and Features
- Find and choose the Steam software.
- Uninstall it using the onscreen prompts and instructions.
- Once that complete, restart your device and then install the latest version of Steam on your system.
See if the Steam error code 101 persists.